Outdoor Education – A Point of Difference
WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL’S POINT OF DIFFERENCE: Outdoor education
(1) Weekly outdoors activities: Each Outdoor Education class has 4 hours per week: Two single hours of theory and classroom work and a 2.50 hour slot that is practical. Our close proximity to the natural environment means that our outdoor ed classes have weekly sessions in the field. They can go kayaking, or rock climbing, or abseiling etc and back in time for the next class.
Year 12 (Level 2) Outdoor Education
- Kayaking – including white water grade 2, roll a kayak
- Day tramps. Navigate in good visibility on land.
- Basic movement skills and use of ice axe and crampons. Building and camping overnight in a snow shelter.
- The use of basic rope systems for top rope climbing and abseiling. Basic rock movement.
- RIsk management strategies to a challenging outdoor activity.
Year 13 (Level 3) Outdoor Education
- Independent kayaking on grade 2 whitewater
- Skills for a multi-day kayaking trip on Grade II whitewater
- Bush survival skills
- Overnight expedition in a mountain environment
- Skills with ropes, knots, anchors and belays for rock climbing and abseiling
(2) There are approximately 10 longer, overnight trips
The following dates are proposed dates for 2018 as an example of the schedule available. Due to the nature of weather we need to have a degree of flexibility around these dates and times.
|Senior Outdoor Education||Level|
|Year Level||Trip Name||Dates||Duration (days)||Proposed Location||EOTC Level|
|13||Murchison Kayak Trip||27/3/2018 – 29/3/2018||3||Murchison||4|
|12||Tramp (1)||9/5/2017 – 11/5/2018||3||Styx – Arahura||4|
|13||Kayak Expedition||31/5/2018 – 1/6/2018||2||Arahura (milltown gorge)||4|
|13||Survival||14/6/2018 – 15/6/2018||2||Kaniere||4|
|12||Tramp (2)||28/6/2018 – 29/6/2018||2||Hogs Back||4|
|12||Intro to Mountains||25/7/2018||1||Temple Basin||4|
|13||Mountain Expedition (1)||9/8/2018 – 10/8/2018||2||Kellys Range||4|
|12||Snow Cave||6/9/2018 – 7/9/2018||2||Kellys Range||4|
|13||Mountain Expedition (2)||20/9/2018 – 21/9/2018||2||Cass Lagoon||4|
|12||Rock Climbing||18/10/2018 – 19/10/2018||Charleston||4|
(3) Leadership opportunities: Senior students may, at the discretion of the Outdoor Education staff, join Middle School camps as leaders. 2018 proposal is below
|Middle School Outdoor Education 2018|
|1||Toaroha||5/4/2018 – 6/4/2018|
|2||Croesus||16/8/2018 – 17/8/2018|
|3||Rapid Creek||6/12/2018 – 7/12/2018|