Our Vision and Values
Our vision is to “experience success together” or in Māori, “piki kotahi ki te taumata” which refers to climbing the mountains to reach the summit, with everyone experiencing success in unison (as one).
Students, akonga, are at the heart of everything we do, and Westland High School’s people, place and learning environment are all designed to foster the wellbeing and growth of students.
Our purpose is to join with our community to create the very best education for our young people.
Our staff are educational leaders that are dedicated and passionate about their roles. Furthermore, we see the community as being a necessary and valued partner in the learning process.
At Westland High School, we recognise that learning takes place both inside the walls of the classroom and further afield.
Our learning process is holistic, individualised, deeply engaging and we see learning as being an unending, life-long journey.
Our place, the high school campus itself, is an innovative learning environment and one which is designed to provide a safe space for students to develop their confidence and sense of self, gain new skills, and broaden their worldview and understanding.
- Holds our students success at its centre
- Reflects our values
- Is holistic
- Reflects Maori and Western worldview
Our Values are reflected in all we do:
- Manaakitanga – Uplifting and empowering ourselves and others.
- Whanaungatanga – Actively building and contributing to positive connections with others.
- Rangatiratanga – Developing leadership with confidence, respect, self-determination and teamwork.
- Kaitiakitanga – Promoting guardianship and preservation of the school values, learning and the environment.