The Westland District
OUR COMMUNITY : Hokitika and the Westland District
- Westland High School is located in Hokitika, a town of 3500 people. http://www.hokitika.org.nz/
- 30% of WHS students identify themselves as Māori and the school and community respect the unique status of tangata whenua.
- Hokitika is surrounded by the majestic mountains of the Southern Alps, lush rainforests, untamed rivers and a wild unspoilt coastline beach.
- Creative Hokitika:
- There is a strong art and crafts community. http://hokitikacraftgallery.co.nz/
- Wai (Westland Arts Incorporated)
- Old Lodge Theatre
- Regent Theatre
- Hokitika Museum
- It has a friendly and relaxed environment.
- The administrative and commercial hub for the Westland District.
- Westland District Council
- Westland Milk Products
- Hokitika is famous for its Pounamu (Greenstone or Jade).
- The story of Pounamu…
- You can spend a day carving your own piece. www.bonz-n-stonz.co.nz
- St John’s Cadets
- Boys’ Brigade.
- Riding for The Disabled (RDA) High school students often volunteer to assist RDA, which provides horse-riding for students and adults with disabilities.
SPORTS and OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- West Coast Wilderness Trail www.westcoastwildernesstrail.co.nz/ One of New Zealand’s most stunning cycling great rides.
- Horse riding, including lessons
- Mountain biking
- Squash… and more
Sample events include
– January – Driftwood and Sand festival,
– February – Waitangi Day celebrations,
– March – Kids Day and Wildfoods Festival www.wildfoods.co.nz
– Easter – Ute Muster www.utemuster.co.nz parade to celebrate the winter solstice
– September – Te Hui Ahurei o Ngā Kura o te Tai Poutini (West Coast Kapa Haka Festival),
– December – Christmas including Christmas Parade, Christmas Lights festival and Christmas on the beach concert.