Short Stay Programme
Westland High School Short Stay International Programme
Each year in July – August Westland High School welcomes 20 students and 2 leaders from the Edogawa City Youth Wing for a 9 – 10 day exchange.
Edogawa is a ward in Tokyo and we have had a relationship with them since 2003. Every few years we send a group of WHS to them. It has been a very successful partnership.
The WHS programme is ably organised by Mrs AnneMarie Greig, Short Stay Co-ordinator, and includes:
- The students and staff are homehosted. The students usually are hosted in pairs.
- All students are allocated a buddy who introduces them to WHS.
- The programme consists of
- a Pōwhiri welcome
- time in class with WHS students (for example: Whānau class, PE, Homeroom, Māori Culture, Textiles, Science and in class with buddies). Each year’s programme depends on classs that are available.
- English sessions by themselves
- visits to the town, Franz Josef Glacier, Punakaiki, Fire station
- Mayor Bruce Smith welcomes them to Westland with a mayoral reception.
- A welcome and a farewell party for hosts, students and buddies.