WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL
INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME CALCULATING REFUND OF FEES PROCEDURE
The school must have a system to establish the validity and amount of fees to be refunded should a student not complete his/her chosen course of study.
To establish a fair and open system for determining the amount of fees to be refunded should a student not complete his/her desired course.
1 The Westland High School International Programme Refund Procedure will be based on Section 4B(7) of the Education (No 4) Amendment Act 1991. The Principal, in consultation with the Director of International Programmes, will act as the agent of the Board of Trustees in establishing the circumstances and the level of the fees to be refunded within the spirit of this procedure.
2 If a student withdraws from his/her choice of study before the course commencement date the student may be eligible for a refund of school fees. There will be no refund if a request to withdraw is made after the midpoint of his/her programme of study in New Zealand except in the following circumstances – serious illness of the student or his/her close family.
- An application for refund of fees must be made in writing. The student (or an approved agent) must write to the Principal explaining why he/she has withdrawn from the course and the reasons for seeking a refund.
3 If the application is made at least four weeks before the start of his/her course, the fees will be refunded in full, less an administration charge of $500 to cover costs incurred by the school.
4 If the application is made after the start of his/her course, but before the second half of the course, fees will be refunded less:
- an administration charge of $1000,
- costs to the school already incurred for tuition,
- components of the fee already committed for the duration of the course,
- including appropriate proportions of salaries of teachers and support staff,
- costs already incurred for the use of facilities and resources,
- the proportion of the Government Levy the school is required to pay.
5 No refund will be made to any student who:
- transfers to another school or educational institution,
- is asked to leave because of misbehaviour, poor attendance, or violation
of the contract with the school,
- withdraws during the second half of the course (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
- If a student moves out of the homestay before the end of their contract the portion of homestay fees not already used will be returned to the student.
- To have homestay fees returned, the student must write to the Principal giving two weeks notice, or pay two weeks fees in lieu of notice.
- If the student cancels the homestay contract before they move into the homestay, the fees will be refunded in full, less two weeks homestay fee.
Date Confirmed 13 November 2017
Review Date: 31 October 2018