Below is a check-list of what to pack for your West Coast adventure.
WHAT TO PACK
- Passport and current visa to study in New Zealand
- Travel/medical insurance policy
- Any prescriptions for necessary medications
- Laptop/Mobile/device chargers
- Adaptor plug for electrical products
- Personal items and clothes.
- Spending money/ credit card
- Contact details and address of Westland High School International Director
- A sun hat
- 50+ SPF protection sunblock
- black shoes to wear with your school uniform
- boots or sturdy shoes for Outdoor Education
- Please arrive in NZ at least a couple of days before school starts. This will help you recover from jetlag, settle into your new homestay, and prepare for school.
- We run an orientation for all new students, to introduce you to our school.
- The first day of school, you will be welcomed with a traditional Powhiri ceremony. A Powhiri is a traditional Maori welcome. Please read more about it on https://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/powhiri-maori-welcome/
- You will also meet with the International Director individually to discuss your final subject selection to ensure you are doing the subjects you need or want to do at the required level. You will be given a timetable. You will be able to choose 6 subjects.
- If you are doing Outdoor Education please make sure you bring some strong shoes or sports shoes and clothing suitable for all weather conditions.
- School begins at 8.40 am and finishes at 3.05 pm
- There is a huge range of sports and cultural activities. Listen to the Daily Notices during whanau time to find out about their meetings. We highly recommend you join a club or team – it is the best way to get to know other students. Check out what's on offer in Hokitika https://www.westlanddc.govt.nz/community-support-and-resources/community-calendar